Monday 15 March 2010

Exploring wikis

I have subscribed to wikis in the past but was unable to remember any of my passwords to go into them. So I created a new user ID on Wetpaint to enable me to run amok on the Oxford web 2.0 wiki. Well not quite but it would be very easy to do some damage. I felt quite odd in the wiki not quite sure what to do. As I browsed I spotted some stray 'OULS' references and did as Jane instructed - I changed them to 'Bodleian Libraries' but in hindsight I wonder whether I should have. They were in a page discussing the Web 2.0 Working Party project which was 'working' during the OULS period. This must happen all the time that changes are being made by others when they shouldn't be 'interfering'. How is this managed? I was asked to provide a note for my changes so it is clear that I had done some editing so I suppose there is a trail but do original authors of content find their work constantly being changed, not always to the good?

I found another page for 23Things 2010 and added some extra text. This I felt I improved it a little but I still felt strange making changes to text without the originator's permission. Aghhh... perhaps I'm not cut out to work with wikis....

No comments:

Post a Comment